The Schwarzman Scholars program is a fully-funded scholarship for most promising leaders from all around the world, which allows the world’s best and brightest students to develop their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s Degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing.
Applicants selected as Schwarzman scholars are provided
- Tuition Fees
- Room and board
- Travel fare to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year
- An in-country study tour
- Required course books and supplies
- Health insurance
- A stipend of $4,000 for personal expenses
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SCHWARZMAN SCHOLARS PROGRAM
- Undergraduate degree or first degree from an accredited college or university or its equivalent.
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to complete all degree requirements before August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it is essential for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
- Candidates must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong English skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. This requirement is waived for applicants who studied at an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction was English for at least two years of the applicant’s academic program. The requirement will also be waived for applicants who have studied in English for two or more years at a Master’s degree level or higher. Acceptable test options are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT). A minimum score of 600.
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). A minimum score of 100.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Minimum score 7.
- Grade point average/class rank/prerequisites. Academic excellence is a requirement for successful applicants, but there is no minimum GPA or class rank required to apply. Applicants are expected to have demonstrated excellence in their academic studies, and the most competitive candidates are among the top students in their graduating class. There are no course prerequisites for applicants to the program, although some individual courses at Tsinghua University may have prerequisites.
September 22, 2020.
Schwarzman Scholars will be selected based on not only their academic aptitude and intellectual ability, but also their leadership potential, entrepreneurial spirit, ability to anticipate and act on emerging trends and opportunities, exemplary character, and desire to understand other cultures, perspectives, and positions.
The process includes an online application and evaluation as well as in-person regional interviews.
Selections will be made in November 2020.
HOW TO APPLY
Application for the Schwarzman Scholars Program is via an online form.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
- Online application
- Resume (2-page maximum)
- Transcripts/Academic Records
- Essays (2): Each applicant is required to provide two essays and one short answer. These can be completed offline but they must be added in the text field and uploaded to the application. The two required essays are a Leadership Essay (750 words) and a Statement of Purpose (500 words)
- Letters of Recommendation (3): One letter from a professor who can speak to your intellect and academic abilities. • One letter addressing your leadership abilities with examples (this can be from an employer, supervisor, mentor, faculty member, or other). It is a requirement to have at least one letter which speaks to the applicant’s demonstrated leadership and potential. • For the third letter, identify a recommender who can offer further insight that best reflects your current profile as an applicant: a letter from an employer or mentor commenting on leadership abilities, an additional academic endorsement, or some combination of the above options.
- Video (optional) : Provide a short video self-introduction of no more than 1 minute. Introduce yourself in any style or setting you think best conveys your interests and personality.
Remember all uploads are required to be in .PDF format