The National Security Adviser, (NSA) Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd) accompanied by the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar and the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Major Gen. Nicholas Rogers and other senior military officers joined the search team for the Dapchi schoolgirls on Tuesday.
NSA while addressing Newsmen report that the NSA-led search team for the missing schoolgirls moved to areas around the Nigeria-Niger border before returning to Damaturu, the Yobe State capital for a courtesy visit to Governor Ibrahim Gaidam.
At the Government House, Damaturu, Gen. Monguno said the Federal Government would not relent in its efforts until the schoolgirls are found and reunited with their families. Giving an update on ongoing efforts to locate and rescue the abducted schoolgirls, the NSA said the Nigerian Air Force has deployed 20 aircraft to the region to support efforts to rescue the girls.
According to him, “in spite of the harsh weather, the Nigerian Air Force has so far conducted 20 sorties and a total of 200 hours of flying time, in search of the schoolgirls.”
“The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) is directly relating with security agencies and cooperating with other contacts across the border, while the situation room has been expanded to intensify the search for the girls,” the NSA added.
Gov. Gaidam, in his response, thanked the F.G. for its swiftness in searching for the whereabouts of the abducted schoolgirls and urged government to deploy more security personnel to schools in the area since it remains one of the frontline states in the fight against insurgency.
He said there should be no complacency in the efforts to decimate Boko Haram insurgents from their strongholds in the northeast and in any other location in Nigeria.